Sunday 6 July 2014

Hospital Bag

I think this was my most searched item on Google. I always like to hear what Mom's think & any helpful advice they can pass along! So now that I have had my trip to the hospital I figure it's a good idea to make a post of my own on this topic. Considering I had never had a hospital stay or a baby this was all so foreign to me! 

I had thought that I had been prepared with my bag for about 2 months. It's funny, the day I went into labour I had come home & added more things to the bag! I felt like I didn't have enough things & didnt want to be sending my husband home to pick up a million things (we are lucky where we live our hospital is about 7 minutes away). Here are my helpful tips below:

• A fan (you don't realize how hot you will get, could be a combination of hormones or maybe the fact you are having the most intense workout of your life! They tend to keep the hospital quite warm a well) 
• Cozy pajamas or lounge wear (you want to be in something that isn't constricting & comfortable)
• Snacks (depending on what time of day or night you go into labour you want to be able to have something to eat after. Luckily my sister had brought me Gatorade which was fantastic to replenish my electrolytes after the fact)
• DSLR camera (I really wasn't interested in having photos in the delivery room. My sister decided to use our camera halfway through the delivery to capture the first moments with our baby. These are photos I know I will cherish forever)
• Flip flops (you don't know what's on the floor & they are easy to slip on & off, plus you can wear them in the shower) 
• Pillow (you want to be as comfortable as possible so any comforts like this from home make it much better)
• Boppy or Nursing Pillow (I had forgotten mine at home & regretted this deeply! My back was killing me within no time. Do yourself & your back a favor by propping your baby up on the nursing pillow)
• Lip Balm (it's amazing how fast your lips can dry out, stock your bag with your favorite lip chap as you will be constantly applying it)
• Baby Sleepers (I had brought the sleeping gowns for the baby, so easy for changing during the night & it also has long sleeves. Our baby wasn't the Swaddle type so she wanted her arms out at all times, this way I didn't worry about her cooling down too much) 
• Shampoo & Conditioner (I wanted to shower as much as I could so these were nice to have as the hospital only provided some foaming soap to use) 






Overall the hospital does provide a lot of care items for the baby. These are mostly items to make Momma's feel more comfortable. I hope you find these tips helpful. 

Melissa xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment